Monday, February 25, 2008

What shall I research?

I have been thinking about what I would like to do for my final project. At this point I think that I would like to do research on pronunciation and linguisitcs. I would like to have students record themselves on Audiacity at the beginning of the semester and then through the semester they would learn about pronuniciation and linguistics of Spanish. As they learn about pronunciation they will create podcasts that will allow them to showcase their progress and will help them to practice their skills. At the end of the semester they will record themselves another time and we will check to see the differences in their pronunciation compared to their original recording and that of a native speaker. As an undergraduate and as a graduate student I took various classes on pronunciation and linguistics of Spanish and I found that through learning about pronunciation and linguistics my own pronunciation improved. However, I did not have many chances to practice what I had learned orally. So my questions would be...
1) Through learning about the linguistics and pronunciation of Spanish will the actual oral presentation improve?
2)Through practice of pronunciation will their pronunciation become closer to that of a native speaker?
These are just some rough ideas but I think that this is the direction that I would like to pursue.

No comments: